February News Archive


25 February 2006

Premier Division – Chippenham Town edged ahead of Salisbury City on Saturday with a 2-0 win at Evesham United. The Bluebirds could have moved to the top on Tuesday, had they not lost 3-1 at King’s Lynn. The Linnets are in third place, ahead of Bath City on goal difference. Bedford Town remain in the Play-Off places, despite losing 3-2 to their nearest challengers Banbury United.

Division One East – With Boreham Wood away on Trophy duty, Enfield Town reduced the leaders comfortable advantage to eight points, when winning 4-1 against Arlesey Town. Wood have three games in hand over Enfield Town who, despite holding on to the second promotion spot by two points, are now coming under pressure from Stamford. The Daniels have played one game less that the Towners.

Division One West – After last weekend’s victory over Ashford Town (Middlesex), Clevedon Town retained their six point lead at the top of the Division with a good 2-0 victory over Bromsgrove Rovers. Peter Sheppard scored both the Seasiders’ goals. Ashford stay in second spot, six points ahead of Sutton Coldfield Town, following a 5-0 drubbing of bottom club Thame United.

errea Cup Fourth Round – Hitchin Town defeated Cirencester Town 7-0 on Tuesday night to win a place in the Semi-Finals of the Errea Cup. Joshua Sozzo scored four for the Canaries.

FA Trophy Fourth Round - Boreham Wood, from the League’s Division One East, defeated Worksop Town 1-0 to win a place in the FA Trophy Semi-Finals. Former Arsenal, Millwall, Tranmere Rovers and Southend United forward, Michael Black, netted Wood’s winner in the 27th minute.

Commiserations Salisbury City. The Whites fine run in this year’s competition ended at Exeter City. The Grecians won 3-1.

Ashford Town (Middlesex) – Ryan Lake has informed the Tangerines he has decided to leave the club. Lake was converted this season from full back to foraging left hand side midfielder by Manager Mark Butler but apparently he has not enjoyed his football in recent weeks. It is understood he may join Hampton & Richmond Borough. Since joining Ashford from Brentford in 2003 as a replacement for Brett Johnson, Lake scored 22 goals in 98 appearances.

Jason Chewins returned on Saturday, following a hamstring injury, and scored within five minutes. With Darren Deegan now only a week or two away from return, the injury list is easing.

Jacob Mingle, though, continues to be absent. After being sent off twice earlier in the season, Mingle was dismissed from the bench at Swindon Supermarine, whilst acting as a substitute. He was suspended for five matches, consisting of a three match ban plus two more to reflect the two earlier dismissals. After being disciplined by the Club, too, Mingle was charged with continuing misconduct. Despite a vigorous written defence, a further five match ban was administered. As two Surrey Senior Cup matches, which do not count towards the ban, are within the suspension period, Mingle will miss 12 first team games. In all, Mingle will have missed 19 matches through suspension this season. He is not eligible to return until 1 April.

Banbury United – In the 87th minute of Banbury’s match at Salisbury on Tuesday evening, Matthew Gooderick scored the Puritan’s third goal and, inadvisably on a bitterly cold night, removed his shirt in celebration. He was promptly cautioned. The shirt removal must have seemed rather extreme to Salisbury supporters, but this was Gooderick’s 100th goal for Banbury United.

He is only the fourth player to reach this target for Banbury. The other three being the immortal strike double of the early seventies, Tony Jacques and Tony Foster, and the club’s record appearance maker, Jody McKay. Gooderick has now made 210 appearances for United, despite enduring a 29 month absence following a horrific leg-break prior to the 2002-3 season.

Boreham Wood – Ahead of Saturday’s FA Trophy Fourth Round Tie at Worksop Town, Wood signed goalkeeper Kevin Dearden from Torquay United. The 35 years old Luton born custodian began his career at Tottenham Hotspur. Although he made only one appearance for Spurs, during six years at White Hart Lane, Dearden made loan appearances for Cambridge United (15), Hartlepool United (10), Swindon Town (1), Peterborough United (7), Hull City (3), Rochdale (3) and Birmingham City (12). In 1994 he was transferred to Brentford, for whom he made 205 appearances and one on loan for Barnet. A move to Wrexham in 1999, which reaped 81 appearances, was followed by 100 appearances for Torquay United.

Brackley Town – The Saints have announced the departure of Assistant Manager Martin Sockett. Caretaker boss Phil Lines has filled the vacancy by appointing Andy Sinnott as his new No.2. Sinnott enjoyed two previous spells with Brackley before leaving to take over at Oxford City three seasons ago. He was appointed Brackley’s Director of Football at the start of the current season. Sinnott has also managed Thame United. He guided Thame to the FA Vase semi-final and two promotions before the club joined The Southern League.

Burnham – Manager David Mudge has appointed former Marlow boss Derek Sweetman as Assistant Manager in place of Paul Brett. Club Captain Brett will now concentrate on playing. Sweetman left Marlow and spent a year living in France before returning in December when he took a coaching role at the club. The last seven days has seen the departure of ex-Thame United Manager Tony Joyce and Keith Newby who only recently signed from Hemel Hempstead.

Sir Henry Cooper OBE. KSG will officially open Burnham Football Club’s new Conference Centre during a luncheon, on Sunday 9 April. Tickets are available from Michael Broadley on 07703-282711 at a cost of £30 each. Charity proceeds from the day will be donated to Ravenswood Village who give lifetime care to handicapped people with learning difficulties. The official opening of the new Burnham Football Club stadium at The Gore will take place in July/August 2006 when it is hoped to play a match/matches against well known opposition to mark the event.

Clevedon Town – The Seasiders have released Danny Carter. The Hackney born forward started at Billericay Town before making 168 Football League appearances (+20 as a substitute) for Leyton Orient. A move to Peterborough United brought 33+12 more appearances. Carter has subsequently played for Barry Town and Merthyr Tydfil, where he spent six years before leaving Pennydarren Park in May 2005.

Enfield Town – The Towners have signed Colchester United scholar, Mark Cousins, on work experience. The 19 years old goalkeeper played at Wingate & Finchley earlier in the season similar on terms.

Evesham United – After 27 months in the managerial seat David Busst and Evesham have parted company. After leading the Robins to the Premier Division at the end of last season, via the Play-Offs, only five wins have been garnered from 35 fixtures this season. Assistant Manager, Paul West, has been put in charge for the remainder of the campaign. Mick Brennan, who with David Clements guided Evesham into the Southern League in 1992, has returned to the club to assist West.

Gloucester City – Defender Chris Holland has joined the Tigers from Bath City on loan. He was with Team Bath last season, having been a trainee with AFC Bournemouth and experiencing spells with Bristol City and Exeter City.

Merthyr Tydfil – The Martyrs parted company with caretaker Manager Paul Evans this week, following the home defeat against Hitchin Town last Saturday. Since taking over in a temporary capacity Evans and Assistant Jeff Eckhardt had gained one victory in eight games. With the process of making a permanent appointment incomplete, Vice Chairman Paul Sugrue has taken over the hot seat, on a temporary basis, with the help of former Merthyr Tydfil boss John Lewis. Sugrue and Lewis enjoyed long and successful full-time playing careers, and their reign in charge started with a 1-0 success over Mangotsfield United on Tuesday evening.

Merthyr have re-signed former midfielder Grant Thomas from Welsh League outfit Aberaman. The Martyrs have also recruited local lad, and Martyrs fan, Adam Lewis, who had been playing in the League of Wales for Grange Quins. Both new signings made their debut against Mangotsfield on Tuesday.

Stourport Swifts – Craig Marshall has been recalled by Hednesford Town during the player’s second loan spell at Walshes Meadow.

Transfers:- Glenn Billinness (Chatham Town to Dartford), Kieran Deane (Stevenage Borough to Aylesbury United [temporary]), Gary Dixon (Dunstable Town to Aveley), Lee Harvey (Boreham Wood to Aveley), Christopher Holland (Bath City to Gloucester City [extension of temporary]), Jon Nichols (Rugby Town to Wingate & Finchley), Daniel Seaborne (Exeter City to Taunton Town [extension of temporary]), Marvin Thompson (Gloucester City to Cinderford Town),


18 February 2006

Premier Division – Chippenham Town took advantage of Salisbury City’s draw at Northwood, to close the race for the Championship to one point. Leaders Salisbury, were held 2-2 by relegation threatened Northwood, but the Whites still head the Division with three games in hand. After scoring a brace in the Bluebirds midweek errea Cup success over Mangotsfield United, Matthew Rawlins scored twice again, in his club’s 3-0 win over Chesham United. David Gilroy scored the third. King’s Lynn’s 3-1 win at Team Bath leaves the Linnets heading three clubs on 55 points. Bath City and Bedford Town are in their wake.

At the bottom of the table Evesham United’s point at Bedford Town leaves Aylesbury United and Chesham United two points adrift. Northwood remain in the relegation zone despite taking a point from their match with Salisbury. Gloucester City move one place above the trapdoor after defeating Grantham Town 4-1.

Division One East – Boreham Wood are cruising towards the title. With less than a third of the season remaining, Wood are eight clear of the chasing pack with at least three games in hand. Following Enfield Town’s 2-2 draw with Uxbridge in midweek, Boreham’s 1-0 win at Barton Rovers on Tuesday, and Saturday’s 2-0 victory at Aveley, has put the Hertfordshire club in a comfortable position. Third placed Stamford now head the ‘Play-Off League Table’, after the Daniels 1-0 win over Harlow Town. The Hawks have faded into mid-table after a promising start to the season. Only Wivenhoe Town, of the remaining challengers, recorded a victory. The Dragons won 2-0 at Sittingbourne, while Corby Town were held at home to a 1-1 draw by Great Wakering Rovers and Dartford lost at Berkhamsted Town 3-1.

Berkhamsted are now three points above the relegation zone, following Aveley’s defeat at home to Boreham Wood. Bottom club Potters Bar Town are now only two points adrift after a fine 3-1 win at home to Barton Rovers.

Division One West – The top two played on Saturday, and leaders Clevedon Town defeated their nearest rivals, Ashford Town (Middlesex) 3-1. The Seasiders won thanks to goals by Peter Sheppard and Leon Hapgood (2), after Ryan Lake had put the Tangerines ahead. Sutton Coldfield Town are now third, after a 1-0 win at Dunstable Town. A Gordon Barr own goal secured victory for the Royals.

Marlow were without a fixture, but Willenhall Town failed to take full advantage of their rivals inactivity when they were held to a 4-4 draw by relegation threatened Stourport Swifts. It was a good point for Stourport, but still trail Bracknell Town by five points after the Berkshire club won 2-1 at home to Burnham. Surprise of the day was Hemel Hempsted Town’s 3-1 home defeat by Rushall Olympic. The Hertfordshire club has been charging up the table recently, but they are now in the thick of four clubs on 52 points, chasing a Play-Off place.

errea Cup Fourth Round – Premier Division promotion challengers, Chippenham Town, kept their errea Cup hopes alive on Tuesday evening with a 2-0 victory over local rivals Mangotsfield United. Matthew Rawlins scored both the Bluebirds goals.

Banbury United, though, were dumped unceremoniously out of the competition by First Division side Bromsgrove Rovers. Benbow, Reynolds (2) and Davis scored the goals for the visiting team. Bedford Town defeated the only other First Division outfit remaining in the tournament, Chatham Town, 2-0. Williams and Hatch scored for the Eagles.

Aveley – The Division One East club has moved quickly to appoint a new Manager following the sudden resignation of Keith Day after last weekend’s 3- 0 defeat at Wivenhoe Town. Steve Browne has been appointed to succeed Day. Browne, is familiar at ’Mill Field’, having applied for the job on two previous occasions. The last time prior to Day’s appointment in October 2005.

Browne has precious managerial experience with Slough Town, Boreham Wood, Hemel Hempstead and Dover Athletic. He has appointed Boreham Wood defender Lee Harvey as his Assistant. The first match of Browne’s reign was against one of his previous clubs, Boreham Wood, who currently lead the Division. Wood won 2-0.

Barking & East Ham United – Recent signing Warren Bennett has been released. Liam Baptiste returned from his loan spell at Redbridge with an injury and was unfit to play in Barking’s game against Barton Rovers. Sam Taylor and John O'Sullivan have served one match suspensions and were available for the club’s game at Chatham Town on Saturday.

Chesham United – Dennis Greene has been replaced as Manager of the Generals. His successor is former England International striker, Luther Blissett. Mr. Blissett enjoyed a formidable playing career with Watford (415 apps. – 148 goals in three spells), AC Millan, Bournemouth (121-56), West Bromwich Albion (3-1), Bury (10-1) and Mansfield Town (5-1). During his 18 years professional career, Blisset made 4 England u/21 appearances, one ‘B’ International appearance and 14 full International appearances. Amongst several new signings, the new Manager has recruited Sean Ridgway, a 19 year old midfielder from Rushden & Diamonds, on work experience.

Harlow Town – Neil Moore, primarily a defender who can also play in midfield, made his 500th appearance (League and Cup games only) for Harlow Town on Wednesday evening in a Southern League Division 1 East match at home to Waltham Forest. Several presentations were made to mark the occasion. 32 year old Moore was born locally and is now in his twelfth season with the Hawks. He made his debut on 13th August 1994 in a match against Southall. He won three consecutive “Supporters Player of the Year” awards from 1998-2000. He has scored 19 goals for the Hawks.

King’s Lynn – The Linnets leading scorer, Daniel Bloomfield, has been sold to Histon for a fee understood to be in the region of £5,000, plus bonuses. Bloomfield was offered an extension to his contract at the turn of the year but declined. To fill the gap, the club has signed Lee Charles on a two week trial. Charles, a striker/ midfielder, has recently been released by Worthing, having previously played for Chertsey Town, Queens Park Rangers (6 apps + 10 as a substitute), Barnet (2 = 3 as a sub.), Cambridge United (7 apps) and Aldershot.

Merthyr Tydfil – The Martyrs have signed 25 year old forward Richard Harris. Croydon born Harris has played for Crystal Palace (2 apps + 7 as a substitute), Mansfield Town (6 substitute appearances whilst on loan) and Wycombe Wanderers (13 apps + 22 as a substitute).

Waltham Forest – The Stags have signed 28 year old midfielder, Ludovic Dje. Paris born Dje previously played for Francs Borains, in Belgium, before joining Stockport County, where he made 3 Football League appearances. Abdulaye Diop, formerly with Barnet, has also joined Waltham.

Willenhall Town – The Reds received and accepted resignations from First Team Manager Rob Smith, and his Assistant, Larry Chambers, last week. Promotion chasing Willenhall have won only once in their last seven matches. Smith and Chambers have since been unveiled as the new managerial pairing at Telford United. When Smith and Chambers were appointed, in December 2001, the club was languishing in the lower echelons of the Midland Football Alliance. Their assignment was to fulfil the dream of club stalwart (and Treasurer at the time), the late Keith Badger, and Chairman Jack Williams, to return the club to the Southern Football League. A steady climb up the table subsequently saw the team achieve promotion at the end of the 2003/04 season. But the club was placed in the Northern Premier League. At the start of this term, the club’s dreams and ambitions were fulfilled when the club was moved back into The Southern Football League.

First Team Coach Steve Wynn, who has been at the club for five years, and Senior Player Mark Swann, who joined the club in 2002, have agreed to take temporary charge of first team affairs. On the playing staff, Gary Hay and Inderpaul Khela have now left the club.

Transfers:- Justin Bishop (Yate Town to Taunton Town), Andrew Chapman (Team Bath to Chesham United), Michael Ford (Brackley Town to Bedford Town), Lee Jay (Canvey Island to Great Wakering Rovers [temporary]), Ryan Jerwood (Paulton Rovers to Team Bath), Craig Johnson (Chippenham Town to Sutton Coldfield Town), Samuel Jones (Chippenham Town to Taunton Town [temporary]), Steven Jones (Burnham to Beaconsfield SYCOB), Dean Nyman (Ilford to Enfield Town), Chris Sullivan (Stevenage Borough to Chesham United [temporary])

11 February 2006

Premier Division – A crowd of 1907 saw League leaders Salisbury City come from behind to win 2-1 against nearest rivals Chippenham Town. The Whites now have a three point lead over the Bluebirds, and have three games in hand. Bedford Town, King’s Lynn and Bath City all won, to join Chipps in the Play-Off zone, but Banbury United’s goalless draw at Tiverton Town sees the Puritans slip out of the top five.

Of the bottom six, only Gloucester City managed to glean a point – in a 2-2 draw at Merthyr Tydfil.

Division One East – Christopher Bangura’s late winner for Boreham Wood against Enfield Town has lifted Wood six points clear at the top of the table. Town stay second, ahead of Corby Town on goal difference. The Steelmen drew at Harlow 0-0.

Spare a thought for Potters Bar Town. The Scholars, who are bottom of the table, have recently gained victories over promotion challengers Enfield Town and Corby Town, as well as taking points off other teams further up the table, scored four at home on Saturday and still couldn’t win! Potters were nut-megged by Sittingbourne, for whom Bradley Spice scored three.

Division One West – While Ashford Town (Mdx) were being held at home 1-1 by Hemel Hempstead Town, leaders Clevedon Town won 3-0 at Stourport Swifts, and moved three points clear at the top of the table. A brace by Jack Pitcher helped keep the Seasiders firmly in the frame

Marlow won 2-1 at Solihull Borough, to keep them firmly entrenched in the Play-Off places with Sutton Coldfield Town. The Royals pulled off a magnificent 6-3 win at Bromsgrove Rovers, for whom Neil Davis scored a hat-trick.

Barking & East Ham United – Just ahead of last Saturday’s game at Corby Town, the Blues signed Warren Bennett from Harold Wood. Bennett is a 20 years old striker who has netted 15 goals in as many appearances so far this season. He was used as a second half substitute in Barking’s 3-1 defeat to the Steelmen. For the visit of Barton Rovers at the weekend, Barking were without John O’Sullivan and Sam Taylor. Both were serving suspensions after collecting five cautions.

Several Barking players have reached milestones this season. John O’Sullivan has completed 200 appearances for the Blues, while Tony Tucker, Gary Waters, Bradley Woodards, Sam Taylor and Jay Devereux have all past a ton.

Brackley Town - The club have parted company with Player/Manager Mike Ford after a 16 month spell in charge. The decision followed a Board meeting at which agreement on a few matters with the experienced ex-Oxford United player and Manager could not be reached. Ford made almost 500 Football League appearances in his professional playing career. Chairman Phil Lines will take over the ‘caretaker’ duties until a successor is appointed. Lines is no stranger to the Managerial position, having enjoyed spells at Banbury United, Buckingham Town and Worcester City, as well as Brackley on two previous occasions.

Burnham – On Monday at Sutton Coldfield Town, Rob Saunders made his 50th appearance for the Blues. And Daryl Jones made his 100th appearance (93 starts and 7 as a substitute) in Saturday’s match against Brackley Town.

Chippenham Town – The Bluebirds are holding their Annual Golf Day in support of club funds on Thursday 30th March. The event is being staged at the Cumberwell Park Golf Club in Bradford on Avon. Entry costs £195 plus vat for a team of four. Interested parties are invited to contact Sandie Webb on 07834-817 777 or Tim Penwell on 01225-760613. Opportunities also exist for individuals and/or companies to sponsor a hole.

Cirencester Town – Ciren’ have a friendly match against a full RAF representative team on March 1st, at 7.30pm at the Corinium Stadium, Kingshill Lane, Cirencester. The match follows the RAF’s game against the Dutch Airforce this coming Tuesday and forms part of the Forces’ preparation for the inter-services tournament the following week. The RAF team will feature Scott Fuller, a Cirencester Town regular. Former Cirencester Town player, Darren Robison, also played for the RAF, many years ago.

Gloucester City – The Tigers have signed Forest Green Rovers’ 18 years old midfielder, Paul Stonehouse, on loan. Stonehouse has played in the Southern League on similar terms this season for Yate Town and Cinderford Town. He scored on his debut for the Tigers.

The Club held an open forum on Thursday evening to allow supporters to put questions to members of the Executive Committee and the new Team Manager, Tim Harris. The evening was well attended and served its purpose of bringing supporters closer to the club, with some well thought out questions duly answered.

Grantham Town – The Gingerbreads have signed 18 years old defender Philip Watt. The Rotherham born player is currently a scholar with Lincoln City, but he has been given permission to play for Grantham on work experience.

Ilford – The Foxes have a new Mascot. ‘Freddy the Fox’, will wear Ilford's famous Blue and White hooped shirt at Ilford’ matches from now on. The costume, which is being worn by one of Ilfords long-term supporters, does have its drawbacks. It is very warm, and takes so long to get into, ‘natural breaks’ are out for the duration. And have you ever seen a fox smoking or drinking a pint of beer!!

Potters Bar Town - Potters Bar Town FC are pleased to announce the appointment of Andy Leese as First Team Manager. Jon Meakes is returning to the club and will renew his partnership with Andy, as Leese’s Assistant. Leese succeeds Andy Milne, who tendered his resignation last week which, after careful consideration, the club’s executive committee reluctantly accepted. Milne stayed on until a successor was appointed.

Leese was approached for the position on the back of an outstanding track record in management achieved in the seven years since his first association with the club ended. The Scholars are confident the new management team can help the club avoid relegation. Leese was recently with Wealdstone FC where he has been assisting Director of Football, Gordon Bartlett. Prior to that he led Cheshunt to successive promotions before a brief spell at Boreham Wood.

Stamford - The Daniels have signed goalkeeper Ian Pledger (36), for a third time, to compete for the custodian's position with Lincoln City work experience youngster Ayden Duffy. Pledger first played for Stamford as a teenager and returned to the club in 1998-99, their first season of Southern League football when he hit the headlines by scoring against Wisbech Town on Boxing Day in a 4-2 victory. Since his second spell with the club Pledger has seen service with Wisbech and Spalding United, winning Player of the Year awards at both clubs.

To keep their full squad active, Stamford have entered the Central Conference Eastern Cup competition in which they will meet Lincoln United and Worksop Town away from home and will host Gainsborough Trinity and Grantham Town. The top two in the five team mini league will meet in the final.

Swindon Supermarine – ‘Marine are to host a sporting dinner on the 9th March, with Martin Peters MBE appearing as Guest Speaker. There will be an auction of sporting memorabilia, which can be viewed, and a bid can be placed, on the club’s web-site. Amongst the items for sale, a Michael Owen/Alan Shearer signed shirt; a framed Real Madrid football shirt signed by Beckham; framed Real Madrid pennant signed by Beckham, Ronaldo and Zidane; a Chelsea football signed by Jose Mourninho, Frank Lampard and John Terry; and framed and signed photograph of Steven Gerrard with the European Cup.

Taunton Town – Ben Wiltshire and Matt Thorne, both scholars with Bristol Rovers, have been granted permission to play for Taunton Town on work experience. They are both 19 years old defenders.

The Peacocks’ recent 5-4 defeat at Dunstable Town did nothing to help their struggle at the wrong end of the table. It was noteworthy, however, because striker Aaron Blakemore netted a hat trick. Blakemore completed his treble in the last minute of the game with a penalty, having missed a spot kick earlier in the game.

The last Taunton Town player to score a hat trick and finish on the losing side was Neil Sutton in a 6-5 defeat by Saltash United at Wordsworth Drive in 1984. Sutton played for Bridgwater Town for many seasons, including Bridgwater’s brief stay in the Southern League from 1982 to 1984. The other two Taunton goals that day were scored by player manager Chris Porter, a former Bridgwater Town stalwart, who also had a spell with Swindon Town - included a F A Cup tie at Elland Road against a Leeds United side containing Billy Bremner, Paul Reaney and Peter Lorimer.

Incidentally that eleven goal thriller all those years ago was refereed by a Paul Durkin.

Waltham Forest - On Wednesday night the Stags won their way to the Essex Senior Cup Final for the first time in 55 years. Two second half goals from fans' favourite Jermain Hughes and one from Wesley Thomas knocked out Heybridge Swifts. The final is to be played at Southend United at the end of March. At the moment the Stags are unsure who they will meet in the Final, or even if the Final will take place. The other semi final, between Chelmsford City and Braintree Town was abandoned just after half time because of a brawl on the pitch. The Football Association has charged both clubs with misconduct.

errea Cup Fourth Round
– Bedford Town reached the Quarter Final of the League Cup for the second successive year, by defeating Cheshunt 1-0 on Tuesday. The Eagles now travel to Chatham Town.

Transfers:- David Barratt (Northwood to Aylesbury United), Luke Evans (Northwood to Beaconsfield SYCOB), Robert Kean (Dunstable Town to Brackley Town), Daniel Mason (Stourport Swifts to Willenhall Town), Daniel Mead (Aylesbury United to Hemel Hempstead Town), Robert McHale (Potters Bar Town to Ilford), Kieran Mercer (Enfield Town to Ilford), Keith Newby (Hemel Hempstead Town to Burnham), Martin Peat (Enfield Town to Cheshunt), Gary Schillachi (Stevenage Borough to Aylesbury United [temporary]), Paul Stonehouse (Forest Green Rovers to Gloucester City), Andrew Williams (Bath City to Swindon Supermarine), Matthew Wojtowicz (Hemel Hempstead Town to Beaconsfield SYCOB).

4 February 2006

Premier Division – Just as David Gilroy’s 76th minute goal against King’s Lynn on Saturday looked to have lifted Chippenham Town to the top of the table, Dean West equalised for the Linnets in the final minute of a pulsating match. The point puts the Bluebirds level on points with Salisbury City, but the Whites have three matches in hand. King’s Lynn remain in fourth spot. Bedford Town won by the odd goal in three to remain third.

At the foot of the table Cheshunt defeated Grantham Town 3-2, thanks to a Lloyd Opara hat-trick, to lift the Ambers out of the relegation zone. But only six points cover the bottom seven clubs, so there are likely to be several changes in position before 29 April.

Division One East – The situation at the top of the Eastern section replicated the Premier Division on Saturday. Like Salisbury, the leading club, Boreham Wood, was engaged in the FA Trophy. But the second placed club, Enfield Town, drew level on points at the top following a 1-0 win at Waltham Forest. Rudi Hall was the Town’s scorer. Corby Town defeated Barking & East Ham United to remain in third place, while Stamford won 3-0 at Aveley to hold on to fourth position.

Berkhamsted Town’s hard won point at Uxbridge has opened a three point gap above bottom club Potters Bar Town. The Scholars lost 3-2 at Great Wakering Rovers, who need the points almost as badly as their visitors, in the battle to avoid relegation.

Division One West – Clevedon Town’s 4-2 win at Beaconsfield SYCOB lifted the Seasiders to top of the Division. Last week’s leaders, Ashford Town (Middlesex), were engaged in an epic battle at third placed club, Willenhall Town. The last two minutes of the match, when two goals were scored, typified the previous 88 minutes. The game ended all-square, 3-3.

Hemel Hempstead Town continued their charge into the Play-Off places, and possibly even higher, with a 5-1 win over Burnham. And Swindon Supermarine curtailed an indifferent run of results with a 3-0 win at Thame United. Thame have won only once at home and are now 13 points adrift at the bottom, following Stourport Swifts 1-0 success at Cinderford Town.

errea Cup Fourth Round –Two uncompleted Ties from the previous week were settled on Tuesday. Banbury United won 1-0 against Rushall Olympic and Cirencester Town won 4-3 at Salisbury City, despite a Matthew Tubbs hat-trick for the home team. Nathan Haisley scored on his debut for Ciren’. The Puritans will now entertain Bromsgrove; the Centurians will host Hitchin Town.

The FA Trophy Third Round – Only two teams outside the Football Conference were involved in Round Three of this year’s F A Trophy, and they are still involved.

After defeating Conference National side Gravesend & Northfleet in the last Round, Boreham Wood repeated the achievement on Saturday by eliminating Crawley Town. Ian Cooper and Leon Archer scored the goals in Wood’s 2-0 win at the Broadfield Stadium. Wood’s reward is a trip to Accrington Stanley or Worksop Town

After ending Canvey Island’s hopes in the last Round, Salisbury City were held to a goalless draw by Stalybridge Celtic on Saturday. The winners of Tuesday’s Replay have been drawn away to Exeter City.

Aylesbury United – Leon Gutzmore has returned to the Ducks after eighteen months with Histon.

Beaconsfield SYCOB – The Rams are to host a representative U/18 match between the Berks & Bucks FA and the Somerset FA in the South West Counties Competition at Holloways Park on Saturday, 11 February at 2pm.

Defender Alfie Patterson gave Manager Simon Delahunty something to smile about at the weekend, after the Rams’ seven-match unbeaten run came to an end at Leighton Town, 3-0. The former Wycombe Wanderers YT, who underwent extensive surgery to repair his cruciate ligament two seasons ago - before aggravating the same knee earlier this season, made his comeback as a second half substitute in the Reserve team’s 1-1 draw with Whyteleafe. SYCOB are desperately short of defenders (no full-backs currently available), the Rams’ boss is hopeful that Patterson will be able to make a swift return to first team action.

Bedford Town – The Eagles have signed 17 years old defender, Tom Bonner, and 19 years old forward, Matthew Gearing, on work experience from Northampton Town. Robert Miller’s contract with Bedford has been cancelled by mutual consent. The Bedford born midfielder has re-signed on non-contract terms prior to his departure for Australia in five weeks. Miller began his career as a trainee with West Ham United, before joining signing professional forms for Coventry City in August 1998. One year later, he joined Cambridge United, for whom he made one substitute appearance in the Football League. He then played for Cambridge City before joining the Eagles.

Bedworth United – The Greenbacks’ Lee Greenway has joined Brackley Town. But Bedworth has signed Paul Hatton from Nuneaton Borough and Chris Edwards from Bedworth Ex-Service FC.

Chatham Town – Gillingham have given permission for 18 years old forward, Hicham Akhazzan, to join Chatham Town on work experience.

Cirencester Town – Kyle Lapham, a 20 years old defender, has joined Cirencester on loan from Swindon Town until 4 March. Lapham, who joined the Robins from school, was the club’s Youth Team Player of the Year in 2004/05 and made two Football League appearances towards the end of the season. He was soon offered a contract but has not made the first team this season. Ironically, he missed the start of this season having sustained an ankle injury in a pre-season friendly against Cirencester!

The Weekly Bulletin often features events club’s are staging. The majority are Sportsmen’s or Gentlemen’s Evenings. Well, here’s a first (for the Bulletin, anyway). Ciren’ are holding a Ladies Night at the Corinium Stadium on Friday 24 February. The evening will feature ‘Kopy Catz’ comedy, ‘Wild Warrior’ and ‘Armani’. I have not been given any details of what these ‘acts’ do, and I have no desire to ask – I have led a sheltered life!

Gloucester City – Neil Mustoe suffered a broken tibia in Saturday’s match against Evesham United. It is understood the fracture is ‘clean’ and should, therefore, present no complications when healing. The former Cambridge United and Northampton Town midfielder is likely to be out for at least four to six weeks.

Great Wakering Rovers – John Heffer, who joined Rovers from Southend Manor, is expected to make his 500th appearance for the club in next Saturday’s match against Chatham Town. Rovers are planning a presentation to mark John’s achievement.

Halesowen Town – The Yeltz are holding a Gentlemen's Evening at the Eaton Hotel, Birmingham on Friday 17 February. Former Manchester United, Leeds United, West Bromwich Albion and Ireland International, Johnny Giles, is the Guest Speaker. The former midfielder, who made nearly 600 Football League appearances in a professional career spanning 19 years, will be accompanied by John Stiles, the son of World Cup winner Nobby.

Rothwell Town – The Bones have made Justin Jenkins’ temporary transfer from Ilkeston Town into a permanent move. Jenkins is a 25 years old forward.

Swindon Supermarine – Supermarine’s Chris Copp is re-locating to Dublin with his family in the next couple of weeks. Copp has been an important member of the team since joining from Devizes Town in 2002, particularly during survival campaigns in the past two seasons. Last season he finished as top goal scorer. The players have arranged an Irish night out to help Chris on his way.

‘Marines’ Jeremy Newton is going to be out of action for the rest of the season after breaking bones in his foot in the mid-week game at Burnham.

Transfers:- Carl Adams (Bromsgrove Rovers to Solihull Borough), Mark Angel (King’s Lynn to Stamford [temporary]), Paul Daley (Potters Bar Town to Enfield), Aaron Farrell (Bedworth United to Sutton Coldfield Town), Leon Green (Chesham United to Enfield), Lee Greenway (Bedworth United to Brackley Town), Paul Hatton (Stourport Swifts to Bedworth United), Christopher Hughes (Stourport Swifts to Sutton Coldfield Town), John Lawford (Aylesbury United to Hemel Hempstead Town), Benjamin Porter (Bromsgrove Rovers to Rushall Olympic), Wayne Thorne (Chippenham Town to Mangotsfield United [extension to temporary]).

GX Soccer
Teams of The Month for January 2006

Premier Division – Hitchin Town
Division One East – Enfield
Division One West – Hemel Hempstead Town